BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice

Go down 
+12
Deerslayer
Dragger
Ralph Wiggum
arlington
Ace
graybeard
pappy3
Katfishing Cajun
papa
knightfisher
North Star
tcba1987
16 posters
AuthorMessage
tcba1987
Dime
Dime
tcba1987

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2007-12-12

What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice Empty
PostSubject: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 9:55 am

Mine is the Abu 6000s ..............just curious what everyone else uses ?? i like 30 lb Vicious Fishing Line on my reels !!
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/briansfreshwaterfishing
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 10:01 am

My favorite Reel that i use is the PENN 209 and the 309 and can't leave out the 155 awesome reels right there, and i like to spool them with a 30 LB mono which i am still trying to find the top notch line out there. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
knightfisher
knightfisher

Number of posts : 366

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 10:38 am

I use a zebbco 33 rino
What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice 100_2913z6

What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice 100_2910z3

and for line 20# iron silk smoke green in color

Last edited by on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://jmjoutdoorworld.com/index.php
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 10:59 am

This year my PENN's will have 30lb visious high visibility yellow on them, with 25lb mono leaders on the hook and 20lb leaders for my sinkers and 8lb of drag set, I just can't stand losing everything at once. around here that is plenty of everything. My PENN no. 9's are my favorite.

Last edited by on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Katfishing Cajun
Dime
Dime
Katfishing Cajun

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 4:45 pm

Brian, I use PENN 9's(25lb.Suffix Superior),209's(80lb.PowerPro),Shimano 600 Tekota's(65lb.PP). 50lb Big Game leaders! My brother-in-law bought the 25lb. Suffix Superior 9,440yd. spool and gave it me, it was discounted 70% off. This stuff is bomb proof!! I got snagged and I could not break it! I walked the length of a 25' pontoon and could not break it!!!! My brother tried and only broke it after walking the 25' length and wrapped it around him 10 times before it broke! Anyway its pretty tough!
Back to top Go down
pappy3
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
pappy3

Number of posts : 421

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 6:30 pm

If I had a choice it would be a shimano calcutta 700 on a shakespere tiger rod spooled with 80lb power pro! That would be my choice but I have to settle for less! I have a mix and match bunch!penn longbech66 on a solid fiberglass rod,rainbow 600 on a glow stik,abu6000 on uglystik and three more big surf rods with shimano spinning and diawa spinning all spooled with 65 power pro Very Happy
Back to top Go down
graybeard
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
graybeard

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 7:04 pm

Well, I guess I got about 3 favorites. If I go to the river I like my 6500 Abu. If I'm lake fishing for eaters, I usually use my old standby Mitchell 300s on Medium action rods. But I also occasionally like to use my old zebco 33s. As far as line, I always was a die-hard trilene xl guy, from 4 lb. for panfish on up to 20 lb. for cats. This year I put Power pro line on one of my 300s. 30 lb. test/8 lb diameter. I really liked it, and will probably put it on another reel this year.
Back to top Go down
tcba1987
Dime
Dime
tcba1987

Number of posts : 170

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 11:36 pm

i think its awesome that almost eveyone uses something alittle different for Cattin !!! my wife uses the rhino 33s on Berkley Big Game Rods strung with 20 lb test Big Game Line !!
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/briansfreshwaterfishing
Ace
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Ace

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 10:28 pm

I have been a Penn man for years if you ever use one you will be hooked for life.
I use Abu also they do a good job.

What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice 9-4 What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice 8-4
Back to top Go down
arlington
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
arlington

Number of posts : 910

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 1:11 pm

Penn 209 and 40lb Big Game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jmjoutdoorworld.com
Ralph Wiggum
Penny
Penny
Ralph Wiggum

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 10:21 am

I've got Abu 6500C3s but am not a huge fan of them. I picked up a Pflueger Trion 66 last fall. It hasn't caught a ton of fish yet, but it is awesome so far!
Back to top Go down
Dragger
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Dragger

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 12:59 am

I would have to say ABUs and Penns, they never let me down,but of course they are cleaned and oiled after every trip. they don't stay in the garage,they live in the house where the temp is controlled year round, I think this is important to both rod and reels.......The line is Big Game and that Red Stuff ...................
Back to top Go down
Deerslayer
Dime
Dime
Deerslayer

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Of the reels i've used and own   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 3:47 pm

For low current, boat and lake conditions i like my Shamano Calcutta 400B's. They will handle any size fish I catch and will out throw my abu 6000 and 6500's. They have a good drag system and the bait clicker is loud and has a low tension in free spool when that type of fishing is called for. I spool them with 65 lb. power pro and use 50 lb. clear premium salt water ande for leaders.

For heavy current, bank fishing and for distance I like my abu 7000's. Haven't tried power pro on them, they are currently spooled with 40 lb. premium salt water ande.
Back to top Go down
radish
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
radish

Number of posts : 257

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 5:02 pm

Mine is a Daiwa Sealine X 50HA with big game 50#
Back to top Go down
flatcatnightmare
Nickel
Nickel
flatcatnightmare

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 10:30 pm

I like the Abu's 6500 c-4's and 6000's also I like the Penn 209's as far as line I switched to the 30 lb. Cajun red line this past year , the diameter seems to be a bit smaller with the capability of of the 30 lb. Big Game , the only draw back I 've noticed with the red line is the boaters dont see your line in the water and I've hooked a couple of mercury outboards with it lol .
Back to top Go down
Littlecat92
Nickel
Nickel
Littlecat92

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 10:21 pm

I like the penn surfmaster 200 or a penn 9 i like stren line in any test
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 pm

Littlecat92 wrote:
I like the penn surfmaster 200 or a penn 9 i like stren line in any test
Another Good Choice Buddy I Like That Stren Also, And The Penns. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

Number of posts : 1818

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:03 am

Man Ace those are some nice rods..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice   What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is everyones catfish reel and line of choice
Page 1 of 1