BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

John Day Dam

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jimhs
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jimhs

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2007-12-05

John Day Dam Empty
PostSubject: John Day Dam   John Day Dam I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 7:55 pm

I went to Portland Tuesday. I had to be at the Memorial Service for my friend that passed away a few days ago on Wednesday. On my way down I stopped at the John Day Dam to stretch the legs and take a break. Took some pictures and hoped that maybe somebody would be interested.

When I parked and got out of the car I thought someone was shooting a rifle for a minute or two until I figured out it was the flag whipping in the wind. The wind was really blowing hard that day and when one of those furls in the flag would straighten out it would sound like a .22 going off every once in a while. That flag is huge. One of the biggest ones I have ever seen.
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM1

They are apparently dumping water out of all the reservoirs in the Columbia River preparing for the Spring runoff. All the spillways were dumping water as well as the turbines in the powerhouse.
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM2
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM3
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM12
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM5

I used to fish for Walleye and Sturgeon from my boat around those small islands that you can see in the picture just to the left of the powerline towers.
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM4

Couple of pictures of Indian guys fishing for Salmon. They are the only ones that I know of that are allowed to use more than one rod.
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM11

If you look close in this picture you can see the platforms that the Indians use to stand on and dip net Salmon out of the river. They have these things built all up and down the Columbia River above Bonneville Dam.
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM10

This is part of the fish ladder system that they use at the dam. Looks like one of those water slides at Disney World.
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM9

The wires pictured below stretch from shore and go out and are attatched to the entire face of the dam from both sides of the river.
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM6
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM7
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM8

This is an entrance to an area about half a mile downstream of the dam. Indians are the only people allowed to go in there and fish.
John Day Dam JOHNDAYDAM13

Jim 8-)
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875

John Day Dam Empty
PostSubject: Re: John Day Dam   John Day Dam I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 8:45 pm

Jim That Is Some Really Interesting Stuff That You Took Pictures Of, It Is Really Cool Seeing What Other Places Have To See When You Travel Thanks For Sharing That Jim. Do You Still Fish There Alot.????
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
arlington
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
arlington

Number of posts : 910

John Day Dam Empty
PostSubject: Re: John Day Dam   John Day Dam I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 9:08 pm

I don't know but them two rods to the left of that ole boy sure are bent over.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jmjoutdoorworld.com
jimhs
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jimhs

Number of posts : 378

John Day Dam Empty
PostSubject: Re: John Day Dam   John Day Dam I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 10:53 am

No I don't anymore Mike. Too far from home with gas at the price that it is now.

John the way they do that is this. First off the bottom of the river right below that dam is nothing but huge boulders and rock like you see on the bank. When you make a cast, it's never coming back. There are probably tons of lead on the river bottom below all those dams. Anyhow, they cast out and when the lead hits bottom and hangs up, they crank the reels down hard and thats where the bend in the rods come from. Most of them use either a dropper line much weaker than their main line, or strong string. When a fish hits and tries to make a run with the bait or lure, it also has that super strong current to help it and the dropper line breaks and now all you have on your line is the fish. The lead stays at the bottom of the river. The Sturgeon fishermen use railroad spikes for weights most of the time. You will notice in the pictures that the rods are all small and 99% of them have spinning reels on them. That's how I know they are Salmon fishing. You would never have even the slightest chance of landing a Sturgeon in current like that with the equipment they are using.

Jim Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

John Day Dam Empty
PostSubject: Re: John Day Dam   John Day Dam I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

John Day Dam
Page 1 of 1